Regina Saskatchewan Nearby Towns and Attractions: Carlyle
This small town is at the junction of highway 9 and highway 13 in southeast Saskatchewan. Just 2 km north of town is Moose Mountain Provincial Park, the largest park in the southeastern Saskatchewan.
This town's post office dates back to 1883, and was named by member of parliament J.G. Turriff, for a couple that operated a store there, though some believe it was named after the Scottish writer Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881),
FoundLocally's Business listings for Carlyle
Carlyle Rusty Relic Museum
Railway Ave & 3 St W
The museum, in a former Canadian National Railway station and a restored one-room schoolhouse, features many area historical items. Exhibits include dental and medical equipment, farm equipment, military uniforms, a completely restored kitchen and old photographs. Railway artifacts include a handcart, a caboose and a CNR tool shed. Open Monday to Saturday 10 am - 5 pm and Sundays 1 pm to 5 pm, mid-June to Labour Day. Admission fee..
Moose Mountain Provincial Park
Highway 9 (22 km north of Carlyle, 58 km south of Whitewood)
This 44,000 hectare park sits on the highest plateau in the southeast of the Province. There is abundant wildlife, including beaver, muskrat, bald eagles, and golden eagles. Area attractions include an 18 hole golf course, mini golf, waterslides, horseback riding, tennis, mountain biking, hiking, nature trails, cross country skiing, and snowmobiling. The park has over 450 beaver lodges.
Highway 9, at entrance to Moose Mountain
This waterslide has 10 different rides including an 8 storey "free fall" and an 800 foot lazy canal. There is also a children’s slide, children’s pool, and children’s play area. Open mid-June to end of August. Open weekedays 10 am to 6 pm, and weekends 10 am to 7 pm. Admission fee.
Cannington Manor Provincial Park
13 km east on highway 13 (just past Manor), 13 km north
Cannington Manor as founded in 1882, to duplicate the classical middle-class English way of life including cricket matches an fox hunts. The museum has 7 buildings, including 3 original structures. The guides wear period costumes, authentic for the last two decades of the 1800s. Open Victoria Day to Labour Day 10 am to 6 pm. Admission fee.