This 3,000 resident community is in south-central Saskatchewan at the intersection of
highways 2 and 13 (northwest of Moose Jaw), and is the largest community in the "Great Trails Getaway Region."
The name comes from the Ojibwa Indian word for "one who cooks with stones," the practice of the local Siouan tribe which livesd between Lake of the Woods and Lake Winnipeg. Governor James Knight, who served at the York Factory Hudson's Bay Company post, called them the Stone Indians in 1715. Pierre Gaultier de La Verendrye refferred to them as Assiniboils in 1730. The town was called Leeville from 1908 to 1912, when it was renamed Assiniboia, for the district that was the southern part of Saskatchewan, originally the whole southern part of Rupert's Land.
Assiniboia Annual Events
Annual events include: Credit Union Provincial Slo-Pitch Tournament (June), Canada Day Celebration (July 1), Grasslands Sheep Show and Sale (July), Assiniboia Rodeo (August).
Assiniboia Business listings
Assiniboia and District Museum
3 Ave W
This museum features artifacts from early pioneers in the area. The museum houses attractions including a 1912 general store, barber shop, blacksmith shop, coal mine, a doctor's office, and a post office. The museum also offers information about other area attractions, and can arrange tours of a grain elevator, a mixed farming operation, and local private collections of vintage cars, antique farm machinery and World War II aircraft. Open daily 10 am till noon and 1 pm to 7 pm in July and August.
St Victor Petroglyphs Provincial Park
Southeast of town on Highway 2
This sandstone cliff is etched with prehistoric Indian carvings. At the top of the cliff there are depictions of human faces, footprints and animal tracks. They have been eroded over time and are best seen late afternoon or on a cloudy day. There is a picnic site at the base of the cliff.